EWG GIRLS SOFTBALL – 2018 SENIOR LEAGUE RULES
1. Games start at 6:00 pm sharp (playoffs may start earlier). No innings start after 1 hour 30 minutes. The time limit begins after the pitcher throws a pitch to the first batter. (umpires start the clock)
2. A regulation game shall consist of 7 innings (unless time limited. Championship games must play 7 innings without time limit (ASA run ahead rule applies).
3. Tie breaker rule: Playoffs only (regular season games can end in a tie) If after completion of 7 innings of play the score is tied, the following tie-breaker rule shall determine the winning team: Starting with the top of the eighth inning, the offensive team shall begin its turn at bat with the player who is scheduled to bat last in that inning (last out of previous inning) being placed on second base.
4. Umpires: Only one umpire will be used (2 for championship games). The umpires are representatives of the league and as such are authorized to order a player, coach, captain or manager to carry out or to omit any act which, in their judgment is necessary to give force and effect to one or all of these rules, and to inflict penalties as herein prescribed. There will be no appeal on any decision of any umpire on the grounds that the umpire was not correct in the conclusion as to whether a batted ball was fair or foul, a runner safe or out, a pitched ball is a ball or strike, or on any play involving accuracy of judgment.
5. Pitching: We will follow the PONY and ASA pitching distance of 40 feet. At the beginning of each half inning, or when a pitcher relieves another, not more than one minute may be used to deliver not more than five pitches. Each team must use at least 2 pitchers per game, and no pitcher can pitch more than 5 innings per game.
6. Four runs per inning rule and ASA ahead rule apply. There is no run limit in the last inning. ASA run ahead rule (ASA rule 5 section 9): 15 after 3 innings; 12 after 4 innings; and 8 after 5 innings.
7. Teams consists of 4 outfielders (or 3 outfielders and 1 midfielder) and 4 infielders a pitcher and the catcher (10 players). In the event of a player shortage, a team can take the field with 8 (7) players. In the playoffs, a team that has 10 players may field all 10 players even if the opposing team has less than 10 players. In the playoffs, free substitutions of all available players must occur so that all players are used.
8. The use of free substitutions and a continuous batting order is required. No player should sit on the bench for more than one consecutive inning.
9. Stealing bases and advances are allowed in live ball situations and runners may advance upon the release of the ball by the pitcher.
10. Infield fly rule is in effect.
11. Any intentional crashing into the catcher will result a verbal warning given to runner and manager of the offending team. All calls regarding this rule on the field shall be at the discretion of the umpire. A repeat by the same runner will result in her being called out upon the second offense. Coaches are advised to instruct all players to slide on any close play at home plate to avoid a collision with the catcher and possible injury.
12. Defensive infielders must not line up between first and second and second and third and block the runner’s path. They may line up a step back or a step in front but not in any direct line. In this case the runner must avoid the defensive player and may run out of the base path to do so. However if the defensive player has the ball in her position the runner can not run out of the base path to avoid being tagged. On a rundown play the defensive players can line up on a line between any two bases the runner is trying to get to or between third and home.
13. This list is a summary of softball rules for EWG Girls Softball; however, the 2018 ASA Girls Softball Rules and Regulations shall apply to any situation not covered by this summary.
14. No metal cleats allowed.
15. Playoffs will be a double elimination format.